The rules specify:
- the procedure for the recording-based elimination round, which leads to the selection of no more than 5 finalists;
- the procedure for the final round, which takes place in public on the great organ in the Saints-Martyrs-Canadiens church in Québec City;
- the registration process;
- the compulsory repertoire.
The Competition is open to candidates who are:
- from Canada, and who are
- Canadian citizens, or
- permanent residents of Canada, or
- holders of a valid work permit on the date of registration, or
- students officially enrolled full-time in an educational institution in Canada for the 2019-2020 school year;
- from the Northeastern US (states of Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Vermont), and who are
- US citizens, or
- permanent residents of the US.
- under the age of thirty-six (36) on the date of the final round (June 18, 2020).